1. What is the procedure for importing animals and animal products into Belize?
- An Application form needs to be filled in and submitted to any of the BAHA offices.
- An fee applies for the application process.
- Depending on the commodity, permits may be issued within seven (7) days of receipt of the application.
2. Is it mandated by law that animal and animal products may only be imported if accompanied by a Valid Import Permit from BAHA?
- Yes. The law that applies is The Belize Agricultural Health Authority Act Chapter 211 of the Substantive Laws of Belize, Revised Edition 2000-2003.
- Part X, Section 60 (1) and (2) of the BAHA Act “Importation of animals, animal carcasses, animal products, biologicals, feed and litter” state that those may only be imported into Belize if accompanied by a Valid Import Permit from BAHA.
3. What is the procedure for new commodities?
- An import risk assessment form needs to be filled and submitted to the Coordinator of the SPS Enquiry Point at the BAHA Office in Central Farm, Cayo District or via electronic mail to email@example.com.
- A fee of one thousand dollars applies for the risk assessment.
- Should the result of the risk assessment indicate that a site visit is required additional fees apply.